...that I like kimchi, because it comes with every meal. Mainly I eat in the student dining hall (cafeteria, or "mess hall" as I've come to think of it) because it is cheap, and though the meals are well-balanced, they are becoming monotonous (rice, soup, kimchi, two meat or fish-based dishes, one veggie-based dish). Still, they get me through the day and are fairly tasty. So far the only thing I haven't been able to eat was the anchovy stuff.
...that I got here early, because I already know the basics of how to get around, how to get a power adapter, the easy way to get to the classroom building, where to buy water, etc. I met some other faculty today at the opening ceremony of the program, many of whom came in yesterday or Saturday. They are still jet lagged and have no idea what to do or where to go. I have to say the program isn't doing a great job of orienting the faculty. We had to ask for the same handouts the students received, and for our own tour of campus (at high noon in the heat of the day, I might add).
...that I have my own washing machine, because I'm easily going through two outfits a day with this intense humidity and heat.
...that I enjoy exploring, because after all, isn't that what traveling is all about?
...that I live alone, because I would go nuts with a roommate on top of jet lag and culture shock. So far my culture shock has been minimal, but I've noticed on this trip and my last trip to Korea that it comes sooner than my first time here, perhaps because I've already been through it (honeymoon stage is pretty much over). However, I also know how to recognize its symptoms, and I know better than to take it too seriously. This enables me to brush off a lot of the disorientation and relish the small victories. It's always very good to come back to my room, crank up the aircon, and just chill out by myself when I feel a wave of irritability coming on.
...that I love Korea! I am very happy here and I'm excited for class to begin tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment