Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Jade Monkey Rides "The Great American Teacher Bus"

After the first week, Wuhan University realized that the teachers were getting way too tired walking back and forth four times a day in the blistering heat and humidity. So these days we have a bus to drive us in the morning, and to and from lunch. We walk back at the end of the day, which is fine. The funny thing is that the bus driver lays on the horn 20 times in the short 3-4 minute drive to get people out of his way. One of the teachers counted 36 honks one morning! So it's pretty obvious from far off that "The Great American Teacher Bus" is coming!

Some comments about my students: Their favorite movies seem to include Forrest Gump, Gone With The Wind, Titanic, and Lord of the Rings. They've all heard of Singin' In The Rain, too! The Chinese hate the movie "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" and especially despise Zhang Zi Yi, the young woman from that movie. Her acting is deemed over the top and not realistic! Most of the students don't like the fact that Americans only see kung fu movies and don't see other Chinese cinema. I've had a few recommendations from students on Chinese movies to see. There have been a few students extremely interested in film, which is fun to experience as a film teacher.

In the morning, I ask them to make me a list of stereotypes they have about Americans from Hollywood movies. Every day I get the same set of answers (among others): rich, violent, optimistic, heroic, romantic, easy-going, humorous, independent, naughty kids.

Today I did something new. I abandoned the "model speech" that the teacher's supposed to do, in favor of a more Communicative methodology. I had the students discuss the four values of Americans that are in my speech transcript (Individualism, Success, Sense of History as a Tapestry, and Place of the Family), and in each case they came up with every point that was in my speech! I gave them the transcript afterwards and praised them for being such good critical thinkers. I was very pleased. Even though we're supposed to be "modeling" the speeches for them, I'm abandoning that idea because it's just not good teaching. It basically ends up being a lecture and they are SO bored. From now on they'll be doing small gruop activities that will produce their own ideas on the topics, and I'll fill in where necessary. These kids are SO smart, they certainly don't need to be lectured. I give them ample Q&A sessions and they have excellent questions to ask. Their own speech-making activities in class provide plenty of opportunity for them to learn and practice public speaking.

Well it's time for dinner. I've joined an ad hoc Tae Kwon Do club comprising four Chinese students, me, and the teacher (Frank, the teacher). I am definitely out of shape, judging from my sore legs after the first class Sunday night! Wish me luck. I'm headed there after dinner.

Until next time, the Jade Monkey must browse and graze now.

Sent Tue, 27 Jul 2004 11:11:44 +0100 (BST)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a Happy Buddha site/blog. It pretty much covers Happy Buddha related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)